Everything you need to know about Graham Crackers in the UK
Everything you need to know Graham Crackers including where to buy them in the UK.
Not surprisingly, American recipes are becoming more and more popular in the UK.
However, many of them require something called a Graham Cracker.
But what is a graham cracker and where do you get it in the UK?
Read on to find out in this informative food guide.
Additionally in this guide, we show you how to make graham crackers from scratch and provide a couple of easy substitutes to graham crackers.
The best Graham Crackers in the UK
The best Graham Crackers available in the UK are by Nabisco.
They cost around £10 per box and are usually available for next day delivery.
What is a Graham Cracker?
So, what is a Graham Cracker anyway?
A graham cracker – pronounced “grahmm” cracker, a bit like gram but with a “h” squashed in – is a biscuit originally created in 1829 by a chap called Sylvester Graham.
Sylvester Graham was a Presbyterian Minister in New Jersey who longed to create a healthy and pure biscuit.
In fact, he was after a biscuit that would help curb carnal appetite!
So, to find this biscuit he took unbleached white flour and mixed it with wheat bran and germ to create a wholesome, unsweetened and vegetarian biscuit.
Sylvester, his ideas and his biscuits caught on and they were soon named after him and thus Graham Crackers were born.
Over the years Graham Crackers have become “less pure” and had sugars and other tasty items added to them and have become a staple of the American store cupboard and used in classic recipes such as campfire s’mores or pumpkin pie.
But where do you get them from the in the UK?
Where to buy Graham Crackers in the UK?
Despite the popularity of American comfort food in the UK it can still be quite difficult to track down Graham Crackers in the UK shops.
However, they are there and it just takes some looking.
But luckily you don’t have to do that as we’ve done that for you.
The prevailing brands are Nabisco Graham Crackers and Honey Maid Graham Crackers that are both available from Amazon with boxes starting from approximately £10 and with next day delivery.
As a side note Nabisco also make the well-known treat Oreo Cookies.
As well as Amazon, Graham Crackers are also available from the following UK Online stores:
Sadly, and we have checked quite a bit, Graham Crackers are NOT available in the major UK supermarkets including:
You may find Graham Crackers in Aldi or Lidl but it is difficult to tell in advance as you cannot search their range online and the product range in store can be quite random.
Graham Cracker Kits
Now, depending on what you plan to use your Graham Crackers for you may be better off buying a product specific food kit rather than individual crackers.
Product specific Graham Cracker kits are per made items likes a pie base or food kits like a Smore’s kit.
Here, are a few examples of Graham Cracker kits you might like to try.
Graham Cracker Pie Crusts
- Honey Maid Graham Cracker Pie Crusts are made with real honey and contain no saturated fat or cholesterol.
- Kosher certified, these premium graham cracker pie crusts have the ideal flavor and consistency to create unforgettable desserts.
- Simple-to-follow recipes on the label make dessert creation a snap.
- Each pie crust is individually sealed to lock in freshness for easy food service preparation or baking projects at home.
- Convenient and ready to use, Keebler Ready Crust pie crusts have a from scratch taste and are the perfect base for your favorite dessert recipes
- Delicious and with a subtly sweet flavor, Keebler Ready Crust Graham Cracker Pie Crusts have a crispy texture and are ideal for no bake pies; Just add pudding, fruit and dessert fillings
- 0g trans fat; No artificial colors or flavors; No high fructose corn syrup; Kosher Pareve
- Enjoy as is or brush with a beaten egg and bake for a golden crust (cool before filling); 2 extra servings than Original Ready Crust
Graham Cracker Smore’s Kits
- Everything you need to make and toast at least nine real American S'Mores
- Includes: fresh TWO Great Taste Star-winning Madagascan Vanilla marshmallows from Cloud Nine (at their best for ONE MONTH from dispatch, but can be frozen)
- Nabisco Graham Originals crackers - Three different bars of Hersheys chocolate
- The Cloud Nine Marshmallow Toaster lasts 2 hours. Can be re-ignited
- Bamboo skewers - Recipe card - Smart white box. A fabulous gift!
- Burmont's Speciality Gifts Ultimate Marshmallow S'mores Hamper
- Includes - Mega Marshmallows (300g) 9 x Nabisco Graham Crackers (Makes 9 S'mores) 3 x Hershey Creamy Milk Chocolate Bars (45g Each) 9 x Bamboo Skewers & Instruction Card
- Includes Premium Burmont's Sleeve & Tissue Paper Lined Box
- Free Gift Message & Gift Wrap Options Available
- The Perfect Gift To Send Direct To A Friend
- GIFT SET – The gifting season is here and so is the Novelty S'mores Kit perfect for gifting this Season. The gift set is perfect gift for Valentine, Birthday, Anniversary or just a simple Thank You!
- CONTAINS - 2x Nutella Hazlenut Spread 15g, Marshmallows, Sweet S'mores Crackers and Toasting Stick
- This handy gift kit has everything you need to make perfect s'mores, including yummy Nutella chocolate spread, marshmallows and crackers!
- ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY – Gather round the campfire, wrap up warm and enjoy deliciously gooey, irresistible s'mores! Makes up to 8 s'mores.
Graham Cracker Cheese Cake Base
Sadly, we can’t find any Graham Cracker cheese cake bases pre made but we will keep looking.
UK Substitutes for Graham Crackers
Finding a substitute can depend on the recipe or need for Graham crackers in the first place, but a general rule of thumb is to just replace them with your favourite biscuits and here are a couple of suggestions.
If making S’mores then you could try digestives just like we did here. You might think they are a bit thick so another alternative could be digestive thins or malted milk biscuits.
If you are making a cheese cake or pumpkin pie then try Maryland double chocolate cookies for the base if you love chocolate, or ginger biscuits for a really good crunch with a bit of bite. We have used both and find them great choices. And crushing them up with a rolling pin is great for stress relief.
How to make Graham Crackers
If it just has to be Graham Crackers and you are not interested in the packs available from Amazon then you could try making your own.
The ingredients you need can be a bit tricky to track down but here they are:
- All purpose flour or Graham flour
- Wholemeal flour
- Wheat germ (try Holland and Barrett)
- Unsalted Butter
- Light brown sugar
- Honey or Agar Nectar
As you can guess the approach is like any biscuit. Just mix everything together and cook. In fact here is a great Graham Cracker recipe from sweet2eatbaking.
Or, check out these videos from the Joy of Baking and Anna Olsen to see how to make Graham Crackers.
If this looks like to much hassle then just grab a box from Amazon.
More from Travelbetter
If you enjoyed this guide about Graham Crackers and where to buy them in the UK then be sure to check out some of our other foodie guides.
This guide to Graham Crackers and where to buy them in the UK contains affiliate links to Amazon UK. If you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. This commission goes towards the running of Travelbetter and helps keep us an independent travel advice site.